Saturday, August 18, 2012

Can't get used to the new 'Metro'

I don't think I'll ever get accustomed to calling the former Metro Beach Metropark in Harrison Township by it's new name, Lake St. Clair Metropark.
It was so easy for so many years to simply refer to the park as "Metro" -- "We're goin' to Metro."
Now there's no simple reference. You can't say, "I'm going to 'Lake.' " What lake? And saying the full name takes too long. Maybe the easy reference will become "Lake Park." I don't know. It still isn't the same. I would ask, "What lake park?" There's so many lakes and parks in SE Michigan.
I understand the new name is good because it clarifies for outsiders (tourists) that "Metro" sits on the shores of Lake St. Clair, almost the sixth Great Lake. But maybe they could've named it "Shoreline" or, stealing from the mall, "Lakeside" (The mall should change its name. It's 10 miles away for goodness sake).
I already miss "Metro" like I've been missing Pine Knob and Tiger Stadium.
Next I hope they're not thinking of changing Metro Parkway to Lake St. Clair Parkway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home